Monday, January 5, 2009

Letter to Weetabix

Here's another letter about cardboard packaging.

I was pleased to see that Weetabix comes in boxes made of recycled cardboard, and was especially pleased to see that 50% of the cardboard was recycled post-consumer. I've been trying to change my diet so that I buy boxed foods only if the boxes are made of recycled materials, and it's proving to be quite a challenge. Seeing that Weetabix's boxes were made of recycled cardboard was a factor in me deciding to switch to Weetabix from my previous breakfast cereal.

I have a couple of questions for you about the paper sleeves Weetabix are packaged in within the cardboard boxes:
1. Are the paper sleeves made of recycled paper?
2. What does the shiny inner coating consist of?

I look forward to reading your reply.

I really hope I get a reply about the shiny inner coating of the paper sleeves, because the answer will determine whether the sleeves are compostable. I'm not actually composting at the moment, but hope to start soon.

No comments: